Sunday, October 21, 2012

Calling all Book Lovers and Writers...


There is nothing better than the ritual of reading while on holidays. Turning the pages of a new book - sitting poolside, stretched out on a hammock or feet up on the balcony at Villas Las Ventanas - this to me is one of the great gifts of being on vacation.  My most recent read, during my last stay at Villas Las Ventanas was "Arriving" written by Corinne Jeffery, my long time friend and former colleague at Grant MacEwan Community College in Edmonton, Alberta.  
Years ago Corinne talked about her dream of writing and write she has.  The "Understanding Ursula" trilogy is now complete; volume one and two are published and I had the pleasure of attending both launches; a year apart.  Corinne's following grows and she can now boast making Edmonton's top ten list.  Check out Corinne's blog where she writes about her writing process and inspiration while on vacation at Villas Las Ventanas. I have set aside "Thriving" the second volume of Corinne's trilogy "Understanding Ursula" ready for my upcoming winter vacation at Villas Las Ventanas. - Bev Sochatsky
ps:  What are you reading?  

VILLAS LAS VENTANAS: A WRITERS PARADISE

It is with ambivalent feelings that I return from Costa Rica’s Gold Coast to the wintry climes of Alberta. Undoubtedly, one of my first transitions will be in relation to my most frequently worn apparel. Prior to my initial visit to my friend’s condo in Playa Junquillal, my friend had advised me to take, at the very least, two bathing suits since they are the preferred attire. The notion that I would spend much of the day in swimwear was so totally foreign to me that I had stared at her in utter disbelief; she’s been
 correct too often to be questioned though so I had packed them without further argument.
Perhaps equally significant will be the change in the tempo of my life. In the relaxed country of Costa Rica, one day blended into another, and I subtly felt myself slipping away from the necessity of doing to the blissful state of simply being. And yet, during my refreshing morning strolls along the sandy shore, I was inspired to return to my computer, and to continue with my new novel Lords and Lepers.
Indeed, there is much about the exquisite Villas Las Ventanas (where we have spent twelve wonderful weeks over the past three years) that makes it a writers’ paradise. Five Spanish-style buildings, resplendent with an array of constantly flowering plants, shrubs, and palm trees, and a splendid swimming pool at the centre, shape the perimeter of the superbly manicured grounds. This location’s artistry, beauty, serenity, and enchanting star-studded evening skies awaken my creative yearning to write.
Still, since over five hundred copies of <em>Arriving: 1909-1919 were sold before I departed on my winter vacation, I must now focus on ensuring that book two is ready to be released by October 2012. Remembering how close I came to completing my Understanding Ursula trilogy last year in this marvelous setting, I must wait until I return near the end of December to resume my passion for writing.
Thank you, Michael Sochatsky for daring to dream about, and succeeding in developing, your fantastic condo complex; it really is a paradise for all. I offer my warmest gratitude to Rosa Bustamante, your property manager, for always working assiduously to make our sojourn delightfully enjoyable. Rosa and her son Danny have become our Costa Rican family, and we eagerly await the possibility of seeing them in Edmonton this summer.
Even as the temperature in Costa Rica continues to rise, reaching averages of 37 degrees Celsius, I am encouraged by the information on the Internet about a warming trend returning to Alberta. I anticipated my arrival home with renewed energy and enthusiasm. I now look forward to seeing my family and friends, and recommencing my exciting activities as a recently published author. - Corinne Jeffery

Join us as we follow Corinnes’ blog at: http://www.corinnejeffery.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment